RFR(S) [15] : 8249000 : vm.gc.X should take selected JIT into account

Vladimir Kozlov vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com
Wed Jul 8 18:34:08 UTC 2020

Thank you, Igor

I got the difference between `vm.gc` and `vm.gc.X`.

In this case TestReclaimStringsLeaksMemory.java should be put into ProblemList-graal.txt with 8207267 to enable it with
libgraal.  Current usage of !vm.graal.enabled in test is to skip this test with Java Graal because its effect on Java heap.

On 7/7/20 8:30 PM, Igor Ignatyev wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> thanks for your review!
>
> `vm.gc` and `vm.gc.X`-s are different beasts (and admittedly, they confuse people a lot), `vm.gc` is set to "X", by jtreg itself, only if there is UseXGC in vm flags, otherwise it's "null". `vm.gc.X` are set by VMProps class, and you can have more than one vm.gc.X == true, as vm.gc.X means that X gc is supported by JVM and it can be selected; so if there are no Use.*GC in vm flags, vm.gc.X will yield true for all GCs which JVM was built with; if one of UseXGC is provided, only corresponding vm.gc.X is true, and all others are false. so to answer your questions, yes `vm.gc` can be "null" (if there are no Use.*GC) , and yes `vm.gc.Z & vm.gc.Serial & vm.gc == null` can be true (if there are no Use.*GC and JVM supports both Z and Serial GCs).

Interesting. I thought vmGC will list only one selected GC. That explains requires in TestZGCWithCDS.java.

You only need to add TestReclaimStringsLeaksMemory.java into ProblemList-graal.txt.

Thanks,
Vladimir