RFR (L): 8244603 and 8238858: Improve young gen sizing

stefan.johansson at oracle.com stefan.johansson at oracle.com
Thu Jun 11 07:51:00 UTC 2020

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for not getting to this sooner.

On 2020-05-19 15:37, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> [...]
> What you want is a minimum desired *eden* size.
>
> - the desired and target young gen size calculation was done in a single
> huge method. This change splits up the code a bit.
>
> - the code that calculated the actual *target* young length has been
> very inconsistent in handling the reserve. I.e. the limit to the
> actually available free regions only applied in some cases, and notably
> not if you were already using the reserve, causing strange behavior
> where at least the calculated young gen target length was higher than
> available free regions. This could cause full gcs.
>
> - I added some detailed trace-level logging for the ergonomic decisions
> which really helps when debugging issues, but might be too
> large/intrusive for the code - I am not sure whether to leave it in.
>
> Reviewing: I think the best entry point for this change is
> G1Policy::update_young_list_target_length(size_t) where the new code
> first calculates a desired young gen length and then target young length.
>
> Some additional notes:
> - eden before a mixed gc is calculated by predicting the time for the
> minimum amount of old gen regions we will definitely take
> (min_old_cset_length) and then letting eden fill up the remainder.
>
> Often this results in significantly larger young gens than before this
> change, at worst young gen will be limited to minimum young gen size (as
> before). Overall it works fairly well, i.e. gives much smoother cpu
> usage. There is a caveat to that in that it depends on accuracy of
> predictions. Since G1 predictions are often too high, we might want to
> take more a lot more optional regions in the future to not be required
> to early terminate the mixed gc
> I.e. I have often seen that we do not use up the 200ms pause time goal.
>
> - currently, and like before, MMU desired length overrides the pause
> time desired length. I.e. *if* a GCPauseTimeIntervalMillis is set, the
> spacing between gcs is more important than actual pause times. The
> difference is that now that there is an explicit comment about this
> behavior there :)
>
> - when eating into the reserve (last 10% of heap), we at most allow use
> of the sizer's min young length or half of the reserve regions (rounded
> up!), whichever is higher. This is an arbitrary decision, but since
> supposedly at that time we are already close to the next mixed gc due to
> adaptive ihop, so we can take more.
>
> - note that all this is about calculating a *target* length, not the
> actual length. Actual length may be higher e.g. due to gclocker.
>
> - there may be some out-of-box performance regressions since G1 does not
> expand the heap that much more. Performance can be restored by either
> decreasing GCTimeRatio, or better setting minimum heap sizes.
>
> Actually, in the future, when shrinking is implemented (JDK-8238687),
> these may be more severe (in some benchmarks, actual gc usage is still
> <2%). I will likely try to balance that with decreasing default

Very nice change Thomas, really helpful with all comments.

As I've mentioned to you offline I think we can re-structure the code a
bit, to separate the updating of young length bounds from the returning
of values. Here's a suggestion on how to do that:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sjohanss/8244603/rev-1/

src/hotspot/share/gc/g1/g1Analytics.cpp
---
  226 double G1Analytics::predict_alloc_rate_ms() const {
  227   if (!enough_samples_available(_alloc_rate_ms_seq)) {
  228     return predict_zero_bounded(_alloc_rate_ms_seq);
  229   } else {
  230     return 0.0;
  231   }
  232 }

As discussed, on line 227 the ! should be removed.
---

Apart from this I think it is all good. There are a few places in
g1Policy.cpp where local variables could be either merged or skipped,
but I think they add to the overall ease of understanding.

Thanks,
Stefan