[16] 8247736: Shenandoah: assert(_nm->is_alive()) failed: only alive nmethods here

Zhengyu Gu zgu at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 14:12:25 UTC 2020

The assertion is unreliable, as a nmethod can become a zombie before it
is unregistered, and nmethod's state change can race against concurrent
nmethod iteration, since they are under two different locks.

We did not see this assertion before JDK-8245961, because we used
CodeCache::blobs_do() to scan code cache and did not have the assertion
on its code path.

Ideally, I would prefer to keep nmethod list hygienic: unregister the
nmethod before making state transition. However, offline discussion with
Erik, he convinced me that could have unexpected consequences and risky.
Mark through and evacuate/disarm zombie nmethods, while undesirable, but
harmless.

So, let's just filter out dead nmethod (still racy) and remove the
assertion.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zgu/JDK-8247736/webrev.00/index.html

Test:
   hotspot_gc_shenandoah