RFR: 8278282: G1: Log basic statistics of evacuation failure

Thomas Schatzl tschatzl at openjdk.java.net
Fri Dec 10 12:43:15 UTC 2021

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 11:00:31 GMT, Stefan Johansson <sjohanss at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > I tried to put a phase and work items under it in different log level, but seems the current phase time framework only support to log phase and its work items at the same log level. Maybe I missed something in the code, let me do some further investigation.
>
> I think you are correct, maybe Thomas know any trick. Otherwise I guess we could separate the "counts" from the timing, but that is not optimal either. If not solvable in a good way, maybe we should just drop some of the trace counts.

There is no way to have different levels for the work items than for the timing it is attached to. I overlooked that when proposing this layout. I would like to just keep things the way they are though then, except moving the `Evacuation Failure Regions` to the bottom, as imho the timing is more interesting typically (or in other words, I'm typically only looking at the timings and if they are not as expected, I am digging into more details with the counts).

Making the work items having a different log level than the master item could be done later.

One remark: that `[Native]` in `Used [Native] Memory` has been meant as optional. :) I would just remove the `[Native]`... (did not look at the code yet).