Add array type field for JFR Event

Erik Gahlin erik.gahlin at oracle.com
Fri Nov 15 12:51:12 UTC 2019

Hi Denghui,

Previously, in the JRockit version of JFR we had support for arrays type
fields in events.

For example, the SystemProperties event had a field with an array of
UTFKeyValuePairs. However, they were problematic to consume for clients
since you need to index into an array. It is easier if data comes in a
normalized form, similar to a relational database where an event
corresponds to a row in a table. JMC had to have special handling of
these non-normalized events.

When we did the Hotspot port of JFR, we converted events such as
SystemProperties into normalized versions and removed the support for
array type fields in events. Unless there is a really good use case, I
think we should try to avoid them.

Thanks
Erik