review request for CR 6361589

David Holmes - Sun Microsystems David.Holmes at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 10 16:22:16 PST 2009

Hi Yumin,

Can you update the thread hierarchy comments in thread.hpp:

   49 // Class hierarchy
   50 // - Thread
   51 //   - VMThread
   52 //   - JavaThread
   53 //   - WatcherThread

This seems incomplete anyway so it would be good to update it.

I would also find it useful to add more comments to the NamedThread
class explaining the role of this new field. It really has nothing to do
with being a "named thread" - but then NamedThread should really have
been called something more general. Pity we can't rename it - can we? :)

In vmError.cpp:

506      // printing Java thread stack trace if it is involved in GC crash
  507
  508      if (_verbose && (_thread->is_Named_thread())) {

Can/Should this be a new STEP?

David