Can't get hs_err log on native stack overflow on Linux

David Holmes David.Holmes at oracle.com
Tue Aug 9 01:16:22 PDT 2011

Well I was right about there being history and wrong about the nature of
the history. Seems we used alternate signal stacks on Linux up till 1.5
when it was explicitly dropped:

4852809: Linux: do not use alternate signal stack

Unfortunately that bug is not public so I can't divulge the reasoning
behind the change.

What I can say is that the stack-banging that we do with the guard pages
was considered generally more reliable, and could be applied the same
way across all platforms. (The Solaris version also dropped all use of
alternate signal stacks for other reasons.)

David