Request for review, 6766644: Redefinition of compiled method fails with assertion "Can not load classes with the Compiler thread"

David Holmes David.Holmes at oracle.com
Sun Jan 30 15:58:05 PST 2011

Hi Keith,

I've been waiting for the dust to settle a little on this before
commenting. I don't know the semantics of the events enough to comment
on whether this deferred event processing can impact things, but I can
comment on the general approach.

This is a pretty major change in the event architecture and I have a few
comments and concerns - the main concern being "deadlock" as it's not
obvious exactly what locks can be held when the service_lock will be
acquired, nor is it obvious that other locks won't be acquired while the
service-lock is held. Further using one thread to wait for and process
different kinds of events may introduce new interactions that weren't
previously possible. How are you going to test for potential bad
interactions between the low-memory detection and compile-event
postings? I doubt we have any existing tests that try to exercise both
bits of functionality.

I'm also a little concerned that changing the LowMemoryDetector (LMD)
thread in to the Service thread is somewhat disruptive when doing stack
analysis on running apps or core dumps or crash logs, because people
have been used to seeing the LMD thread for many years and now it has
changed its identity.

Looking in jvmtiImpl.cpp

I'd prefer to see the locking in all the JvmtiDeferredEventQueue methods
rather than having the call-sites do the locking, as it is less
error-prone. But I see that the main processing loop in the service
thread makes this impossible due to the dual use of the "service lock".

Where we have:

  961 void JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::enqueue(const JvmtiDeferredEvent&
event) {
  967   QueueNode* node = new QueueNode(event);

and

1007 void JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::add_pending_event(
1008     const JvmtiDeferredEvent& event) {
1009
1010   QueueNode* node = new QueueNode(event);

Will an allocation failure here terminate the VM? I suspect it will but
I don't think it should. Can we not add a link field to the event
objects rather than have to create Nodes to hold them?

Minor nit but the canonical pattern typically used for a cas-loop is a
do-while, eg instead of:

1012   while (true) {
1013     node->set_next((QueueNode*)_pending_list);
1014     QueueNode* old_value = (QueueNode*)Atomic::cmpxchg_ptr(
1015       (void*)node, (volatile void*)&_pending_list, node->next());
1016     if (old_value == node->next()) {
1017       break;
1018     }
1019   }

use:

       do {
         node->set_next((QueueNode*)_pending_list);
       } while ( (QueueNode*)Atomic::cmpxchg_ptr(
          (void*)node, (volatile void*)&_pending_list, node->next()) !=
node->next() );

and similarly in process_pending_events. Though in
process_pending_events you can just use Atomic::xchg rather than a
cmpxchg loop.

1076 void JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::wait_for_empty_queue() {
1077   MutexLockerEx ml(Service_lock, Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
1078   while (has_events()) {
1079     Service_lock->notify_all();
1080     Service_lock->wait(Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
1081   }
1082 }

What is the notify_all for?

1084 void JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::notify_empty_queue() {
1085   assert(Service_lock->owned_by_self(), "Must own Service_lock");
1086   Service_lock->notify_all();
1087 }

This looks suspicious - notification should always occur in conjunction
with a change of state, which should be atomic with respect to the
notification. Looking at the usage in the service-thread wait-loop I
don't understand who is being notified of what. Whomever emptied the
queue should be doing the notification ie in dequeue() if _queue_head ==
NULL ie at line 997.

In dequeue, this:

  988   if (_queue_head == NULL) {
  989     // Just in case this happens in product; it shouldn't be let's
not crash
  990     return JvmtiDeferredEvent();
  991   }

doesn't look right. Are we returning a stack allocated instance here?
(There's also a typo in the comment.)

---

In jvmtiExport.cpp,  I don't understand why here:

832 void JvmtiExport::post_dynamic_code_generated(const char *name,
const void *code_begin, const void *code_end) {
1841
1842   JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::wait_for_empty_queue();
1843

we have to wait for an empty queue, particularly as the queue may become
non-empty at any moment. Normally such a wait must be atomic with
respect to an action that requires the queue to be empty, but that
doesn't seem to be the case here.

---

In serviceThread.cpp, are we sure that it is okay to remain
_thread_blocked while executing this:

   91       ThreadBlockInVM tbivm(jt);
   92
   93       MutexLockerEx ml(Service_lock, Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
   94       while (!(sensors_changed =
LowMemoryDetector::has_pending_requests()) &&
   95              !(has_jvmti_events =
JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::has_events())) {
   96         // wait until one of the sensors has pending requests, or
there is a
   97         // pending JVMTI event to post
   98         JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::notify_empty_queue();
   99         Service_lock->wait(Mutex::_no_safepoint_check_flag);
  100       }
  101
  102       if (has_jvmti_events) {
  103         jvmti_event = JvmtiDeferredEventQueue::dequeue();
  104       }

It may be fine but it seems a little strange.

---

There's no thread.hpp in the webrev but presumably you can now delete
the  LowMemoryDetectorThread class.

---

Cheers,
David