Fwd: large jar file failed

wynne.wang wynne.wang at oracle.com
Sun Oct 9 03:30:05 PDT 2011

Hi Experts

I need help to solve a JDK issue.

It is easy to repeat, one created a jar file > 2GB , and it failed to run.

By the deeper investigation, I found the error was thrown from the
SelectVersion() method in JVM .

Inside the openjdk source code(/share/bin/java.c), I found some
interesting notes as:

* A NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: For performance reasons it is important that
* the program image remain relatively small until after SelectVersion
* CreateExecutionEnvironment have finished their possibly recursive
* processing. Watch everything, but resist all temptations to use Java
* interfaces.

OK, the fact is , now there is a jar file >2GB , and if it could pass
the SelectVersion() check in JVM?
Or any advice ?

Thanks

Wynne