Request for review: 7104173 sun/tools tests fail with debug build after 7012206

Christian Thalinger christian.thalinger at oracle.com
Thu Oct 27 02:00:16 PDT 2011

On Oct 27, 2011, at 10:43 AM, David Holmes wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 27/10/2011 5:51 PM, Christian Thalinger wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 26, 2011, at 8:33 AM, David Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> webrev:
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/7104173/webrev/
>>>
>>> A trivial change for our embedded code to aid in testing. Some tests need to be passed -XX:+UsePerfData to make them work (7012206). A debug build, by default, prints any -XX options passed to it. Any such tests that parse the test output then fail with a debug build because of this extra unexpected output.
>>>
>>> So for embedded only we simply turn PrintVMOptions off by default for all builds.
>>
>> Why aren't you also passing -PrintVMOptions for the tests that need +UsePerfData?
>
> When 701226 was fixed I didn't realize there would be a need to add -PrintVMOptions. Rather than go through and pollute all those test scripts with yet-another-option I decided to deal with the problem at the source - the VM. There really is no need to print the options by default with a debug build. So for the embedded build we turn it off. (See also 6605954)

I don't know the history of that option but maybe we should disable it for non-embedded builds too?  Sometimes the output of the VM options is useful but in that case I can add +PrintVMOptions manually.

I don't have a strong opinion here I just don't like that embedded and non-embedded are diverging here.  Anyway, the change is basically okay :-)

-- Chris