code review for JLI/JPLIS test (7191322)

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Wed Aug 15 13:38:46 PDT 2012

Dmitry,

Thanks for the quick review!

Replies embedded below.

On 8/15/12 11:39 AM, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
> Dan,
>
> VerifyLocalVariableTableOnRetransformTest.sh

Just FYI that VerifyLocalVariableTableOnRetransformTest.sh
is a copy of one of the existing JLI .sh files with minor
tweaking specific for this test. All of the comments below
are on the "boiler plate" stuff that I copied.

> 1.
>
> if [ "${TESTJAVA}" = "" ]
>
> Some shells doesn't handle it correctly.
> It's more safe to do
> if [ "x${TESTJAVA}" = "x" ]
>
> (the same is for other conditions below)

I've never heard of a shell not handling the above
correctly when double quotes are used. This is an
idiom that is in all of the JLI .sh tests and probably
in all the JDI .sh tests. I have seen the following:

     if [ x${TESTJAVA} = x ]

in some other scripts and that drives me bonkers.

I'm planning to keep this one as is, if that's OK
with you.

> 2.
>
> ll. 69
>
> it's better to add quotes around 0 or
> use -eq instead of =
>

> besides that looks good for me.

This is also a pretty common idiom:

     if [ "$result" = 0 ]; then

and I find a bunch of uses of it in existing JLI tests.
I can't find any use of '-eq' at all in the JLI tests.
In the JDI tests, I find both '-eq' and the above both
with and without quotes, but mostly the later.

I'm planning to keep this one as is, if that's OK
with you.

Again, thanks for the quick review! Please let me know
if you are OK with the above resolutions.

Dan