RFR: 8019470 "Changes needed to compile JDK8 on MacOS with clang compiler"

Tim Bell tim.bell at oracle.com
Tue Jul 23 16:38:11 PDT 2013

Hello Leonid:

> Just to satisfy my curiosity: what are advantages of using clang instead of gcc?

I am a mere messenger here, but I am told that clang/clang++:

- is command line compatible with gcc
- is faster
- produces better diagnostic messages
- clang on MacOS is under active development while gcc is not [citation
needed]

To others out there - feel free to correct these points, or add more of
your own.

Tim