RFC: cannot run hotspot with bootstrap jdk1.7.0_45: see 8014399: Remove JVM_SetProtectionDomain from hotspot:

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Nov 3 13:24:12 PST 2013

Francis,

On 2/11/2013 10:58 PM, Francis ANDRE wrote:
> Hi
>
> Building hotspot-rt using this repository
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/hsx/hotspot-rt on a WXP/Cygwin/VS2010
> platform and running
>
> C:/Progra~1/Java/jdk1.7.0_45\bin\java.exe
> -XXaltjvm=Z:/JDK/hotspot-rt/hotspot/build\vs-i486/compiler1/debug
> -Dsun.java.launcher=gamma

The gamma launcher has been removed partly because of this kind of
problem. You can not use a hs25 VM in a JDK7 any more. The "hotspot
express" release model, where newer VMs could be used in older JDKs is
no more. The VM and JDK are once again tightly connected.

> produces the following exception
>
> _JVM_SetProtectionDomain at 12 is not found in the dynamic linked library
> jvm.dll
>

> The definition of SetProtectionDomain has been removed from the jdk8 jvm
> but not its reference in the jdk7 java.exe, thus it is not possible
> anymore to build/run a jdk8 release with a bootstrap release as of jdk7
> that contains such reference. Thus I am proposing to build a jdk7
> release without any reference to the _JVM_SetProtectionDomain entry
> point by back-porting the 8014399  to the jdk7u distribution.

That might be possible but there are likely to be other things -
particularly in the area of invokeDynamic and MethodHandles that will
prevent hs25 from operating within 7u45.

David
-----