RFR (S): 8028280 ParkEvent leak when running modified runThese which only loads classes

David Simms david.simms at oracle.com
Thu Nov 28 23:30:23 PST 2013

Thanks for the review !

Inline...

On 29/11/2013 2:06 a.m., David Holmes wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Apologies for the delay in getting back to this, and even more so that
> I won't be able to respond further as I'll be on vacation the next two
> weeks. Fortunately no major issues that would need further discussion :)

It's okay, we took the bug of the critical list, it's actually hard to
cause an actual OOM.
> src/os/*/vm/os_*.cpp
>
> So ... os::naked_sleep is now morphed into os::naked_short_sleep and
> is always really "naked" ie it uses an OS call. Ok.
>
> Why does the windows version not have:
>
>  assert(ms < 1000, "Long sleep will break Thread.interrupt() semantics");
>
> ?
Will fix.

> What is your concern with Thread.interrupt here? These sleeps aren't
> involved in Thread.sleep; and the parking logic only looks for
> interrupts at specific points (the existing SpinAcquire code will not
> return if the thread is interrupted). The main issue with long
> blocking is that the thread is not undergoing a state transition and
> so a safepoint will not be reachable until the sleep is over (and we
> reach a point where we check for a safepoint). I'd be worried that a 1
> second sleep might cause a problem with safepoints. Of course this
> depends on what the caller does before using naked_short_sleep.

My concern is someone else looking to use naked_short_sleep() outside
the current context, must be aware that this only for short periods.
I.e. it is in no way interruptible. I can change the comment to be more
generic, i.e. what I just said.

> ---
>
> src/share/vm/runtime/thread.hpp
>
>     // Low-level leaf-lock primitives used to implement synchronization
>     // and native monitor-mutex infrastructure.
>     // Not for general synchronization use.
> +   // Direct naked OS primitives, safe to use standalone in lock impl
>
> Your comment really only applies to SpinAcquire, not the set of
> methods that the original comment block refers to.

Whoops, thought that comment referred to SpinAcquire and SpinRelease,
can leave it in for mux acquire and release of course.

> ---
>
> src/share/vm/runtime/park.cpp
>
>  91   // Note that if we didn't have the TSM/immortal constraint, then
>  92   // when reattaching, above, we could trim the list.
>
> What is the "reattaching, above" you are referring to? This comment
> seem more directed to the old code than the new ??
Ah, old comment, thanks for spotting that. Although it's still true
",/above,/" needs to go.

> ---
>
> Overall this seems okay but I do wonder about the change in
> performance profile. The scenario that caused the leak indicates a
> high-level of contention. Have any of the synchronization benchmarks
> been run as a sanity check?

I can talk with the local performance engineer and check for
regressions. Shouldn't be a problem semantically, as I'm modifying
slow-path...of fairly critical code - will test.

The scenario was a targeted stress test, multi-threaded class-loading
from the same jar. Not quite "real-world", but since the test exist,
will re-run with performance in mind.

Thanks again !