RFR(s): 8065895: Synchronous signals during error reporting may terminate or hang VM process

Dean Long dean.long at oracle.com
Wed Dec 3 04:09:24 UTC 2014

Instead of get_illegal_instruction_sequence() that fills in a buffer in
reserved memory page, how
about simply generate_illegal_instruction_sequence() that causes the
SIGILL when executed?
Then crash_with_sigill() simplifies to something like:

     tty->print_cr("will jump to PC " PTR_FORMAT", which should cause a SIGILL.",generate_illegal_instruction_sequence);
     tty->flush();

     generate_illegal_instruction_sequence(); //  boom

dl