RFR (s): 8026849 - Fix typos in the GC code, part 2

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Mon Feb 3 10:59:28 PST 2014

Hi Thomas,

The format in question hasn’t changed in a long time, in fact ever! Why do we suddenly need to change it now? The change doesn’t relate to new functionality nor does it represent an improvement in the quality of information in the logs nor does it fix functionality (ie. fixes a bug and calling this a bug is hyperbole IMO). I would never complain about any change that meets this standard. FWIW, I’ve been looking at *all* of the rules that I use and it’s amazing that in some cases I’m looking at more than a half a dozen fundamentally different formats for expressing the *exact same information*,  no improvement in the quality of information nor does it expose new functionality. And that’s not including taking into account all the spelling mistakes that have cropped up, missing carriage returns, records corrupting each other. You have to admit that CMS logging is a disaster! So all I’m asking is that before changes are made in the log format please lets first ask; is this change really improve the quality or am I pandering to personal preferences. You prefer a ‘,’, I like the ‘ ‘.

My suggestion quite some time ago was to come up with a consistent and easily parseable format. I’ve been willing to dedicate some time to do so but it was suggested that I wait. G1 is some what better but sadly, depending upon which flags you set you get records crashing into each other (RSet diagnostics as an example). My first suggestion is lets fix that problem first.

Regards,
Kirk