RFR(S): JDK-8016644 - Improve UnsupportedClassVersionError message

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Wed Feb 5 20:56:35 PST 2014

Hi Christian,

On 6/02/2014 1:19 PM, Christian Tornqvist wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This change is about making the UnsupportedClassVersionError message a
> bit more user friendly.
>
> Webrev can be found at:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ctornqvi/webrev/8016644/webrev.00/

Not sure how we end up with two cases here - how can we be loading a
class with no name? Anyway ...

Technically you shouldn't say "Java version" as "Java" is not a noun. It
would need to be "Java virtual machine version" or "Java platform
version", but that is too much of a mouthful. You could simply say:

"Class file version %u.%u is greater than the recognized maximum %u.%u"

"%s has a class file version (%u.%u) that is greater than the recognized
maximum %u.%u"

Or you could I suppose just replace "Java version" with "Java virtual
machine".

David
-----