RFR: 8035150 ShouldNotReachHere() in ConstantPool::copy_entry_to

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Wed Feb 26 00:48:07 UTC 2014

I concur with Markus. Pairing JVM_CONSTANT_UnresolvedClassInError with
JVM_CONSTANT_UnresolvedClass in the ConstantPool::copy_entry_to()
switch looks like the right thing to do.

The usual questions:

- why wasn't this failure mode seen before JDK8?
- was this failure caught somewhere else before JDK8 and changes
   in JDK8 exposed a new code path?

Reasoning about this from a 30,000 foot view, I don't see any reason
why you can't redefine a class that has a constant pool ref that
refers to a class in error. You won't be able to use the error'ed
class, but there's no reason it can't be in there... Or does that
violate the rule that you can't redefine a class that isn't fully
linked (what ever that means...)???

So what does your new test on JDK7 or JDK6? Just curious...

Dan