RFR: 8042243: Map shared archive to preallocated static address

Yumin Qi yumin.qi at oracle.com
Tue May 6 04:46:17 UTC 2014

David,

   Thanks for the review.
On 5/5/2014 7:59 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Yumin,
>
> For something that only addresses one platform this adds a lot of
> platform specific code to a bunch of shared files. Are there plans to
> extend this to other platforms? Otherwise can we make this more
> platform agnostic? Perhaps move the os specific code to the os class?
> Seems the changes in filemap.cpp and metaspace.cpp could easily be
> factored into an os method that returns a boolean to indicate whether
> there is a fixed mapping.

Let me rethink and reorganize the code.
> And perhaps define set_static_shared_space in the os class and always
> expose it via jni.cpp. Actually, why are we exposing this via jni.cpp
> rather than jvm.cpp? This is not part of the JNI interface to the VM.

I think I can use JVM_LEAF, other entries all call to get current
JavaThread which is not available at the time this function called since
VM is not init'ed.  But using this entry is dangerous too.
verify_stack_alignment() will be called in JVM_LEAF_BASE, it won't have
effect since it is empty function for debug version. It may become
problematic in future I think, so i decided to have a plain JNI function
so put it in jni.cpp. This function is more like a private function.

Thanks
Yumin