RFR: 8079301: Some command line options not settable via JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS

Dmitry Dmitriev dmitry.dmitriev at oracle.com
Sun Jul 12 14:27:26 UTC 2015

Hello Coleen,

I think that adding destructor not help with this, since all this code
with free_memory_for_vm_init_args is a special workaround for processing
options in env variables and not applied to the options from command
line which passed in 'args' to the Arguments::parse function.

About match_special_option_and_act. Probably it can be processed in the
following way(raw idea):
code = match_special_option_and_act(&java_tool_options_args, &flags_file);
if (code == JNI_OK) {
    // call next
    code = match_special_option_and_act(args, &flags_file);
}

if (code == JNI_OK) {
    // call next
    code = match_special_option_and_act(&java_options_args, &flags_file);
}

if (code != JNI_OK) {
    free_memory_for_vm_init_args(&java_tool_options_args);
    free_memory_for_vm_init_args(&java_options_args);
    return code;
}

Thanks,
Dmitry

On 11.07.2015 0:16, Coleen Phillimore wrote:

> Hi, I have a couple of suggestions.
>
> Can you add a destructor to JavaVMInitArgs which will delete the
> options things if they exist?   Then you won't need these
> free_memory_for_vm_init_args functions.   I think this would work.
>
> Secondly, I was also going to comment about
> match_special_option_and_act not using it's return value.   The
> destructor code would make this less cumbersome.  I like the
> refactoring though.
>
> Thanks,
> Coleen
>
> On 7/10/15 2:40 PM, Dmitry Dmitriev wrote:
>> Jeremy, thank you for fixing that! Please, see my comments inline for
>> 2 item and one more comment.
>>
>> On 10.07.2015 20:15, Jeremy Manson wrote:
>>> Thanks for the detailed look, Dmitry.  I have taken your advice,
>>> with a couple of exceptions:
>>>
>>> 1) I named the method free_memory_for_vm_init_args instead of
>>> free_memory_for_environment_variables.