RFR: 8140348: Convert TraceSafepoint to Unified Logging

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Mon Nov 2 15:39:25 UTC 2015

On 11/1/15 8:57 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> On 24/10/2015 7:58 AM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
>>
>> Copying Mattis,  Mattis, this is the second flag to be converted to use
>> the Unified Logging framework.
>>
>> -XX:+TraceSafepoint was a develop mode flag but Unified Logging makes it
>> available in product mode.  This may be useful to customers. Your
>> comments are appreciated, as well as comments from the openjdk
>> community.
>
> I'm concerned that a number of previously Develop-only trace flags are
> now being made product flags with the conversion to Unified-logging!
> Has anyone done the performance checks for that? Individually they may
> seem okay but what about in combination?
>
> There has to be a balance between the perceived utility of a flag and
> the cost everyone has to pay whether they turn the flag on or not.

See the review thread for RFR: 8139564: Convert TraceDefaultMethods to
Unified Logging

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-runtime-dev/2015-October/016059.html

Yes, we discussed this and decided to make all flags product pending any
problems discovered at a later time in the jdk9 release cycle.    Rachel
is doing performance testing on each flag individually as converted, but
we could do a run at the end of the first set to be migrated, and see if
there are problems then.

Thanks,
Coleen