RFR [9] 8140687: Move @Contended to the jdk.internal.vm.annotation package

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Nov 11 13:11:10 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 07:06 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:

>> While this is up for review, could someone please explain
>> again why @Contended should not be a public annotation?
>
> Sorry Doug, I don’t have the answer to your question. I was
> not involved in the original @Contended support. Since it
> was added in JDK 8, we have some experience with it now,
> so  maybe this would help influence any future discussion on
> its possible inclusion in Java SE.

Sorry to be a pest about this. But, as I should have noticed
before, taking away sun.misc.Contended without providing any
alternative for non-JDK users seems to be the only exception to
the stated policy of only removing functionality that has a jdk9
equivalent, or else making it public. If this exception was not
deliberate, then it is better to reconsider this now vs later.

-Doug