RFR [9] 8140687: Move @Contended to the jdk.internal.vm.annotation package

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Thu Nov 12 17:23:19 UTC 2015

To me, it sounds like @Contended, in its current form, is not quite ready
for prime-time ( inclusion in Java SE 9 ). There is some concern about its
implementation, and I’m not sure how the loader restriction, and the control
through a -XX flag, would translate into SE spec. There is certainly some
additional work, beyond my primary goal ( preparation for JEP 260 ) that
is required.

It seems a reasonable compromise ( until someone can spend some
quality time on it ) to support the sun.misc.Contended annotation as
an alias, or similar, along with the internal Contended annotation (
required by java.base ). The changes to support such are relatively
straight forward, and can easily be refactored in the future.

If there is agreement, I will add @Contended to JEP 260.

-Chris.