RFR: 8142506: Reimplement TraceClassUnloading with Unified Logging.

Max Ockner max.ockner at oracle.com
Fri Nov 13 13:42:00 UTC 2015

David,

We chose Trace* and Print* options to convert to Unified Logging because
those options do most of the logging.  Trace level logging is basically
the new WizardMode/Verbose. Flags that could once be called either alone
or with WizardMode can now be logged with different levels. For example,

"-XX:+TraceClassUnloading" will hit code guarded by "if
(TraceClassUnloading)", but not "if (TraceClassUnloading &&
WizardMode)". To see logging contained in the WizardMode statement, you
must specify WizardMode as well.  When This all gets converted to
Unified Logging,  logging that was once guarded by "if
(TraceClassUnloading)" will now be accessible with
"-Xlog:classunload=debug", and logging that was guarded by "if
(TraceClassUnloading && WizardMode)" will be accessible through
"-Xlog:classunload=trace".

For this particular case, I could also imagine using the Info level for
the majority of the logging to make it accessible with
"-Xlog:classunload", and if we wanted to keep the WizardMode output out
of product, we could either (1) use #ifndef PRODUCT or (2) change to
develop level for those outputs. However, I don't see a problem with
allowing the WizardMode output in product builds.  This output is
currently blocked from product builds by WizardMode, which is a product
only flag. There are no #ifdefs that we'd have to remove, so I don't
expect any kind of performance or size issues with this change.

Thanks,
Max