RFR(L): 8140485: Class load and creation clean up

Markus Gronlund markus.gronlund at oracle.com
Thu Nov 26 12:20:47 UTC 2015

Hi Serguei and Coleen,

Many thanks again for traversing this change.

Serguei,

I have updated to address (some of) your comments:

 "  Both checks at the lines 83 ans 69 are late as tags is dereferenced at the line 81. Would it better to remove the line 81 and initialize the _length in the 'tag_array_..' after the check at 68?
   I'd also suggest to follow the comment at 96-97: to leave just one of the asserts 91-95 and remove the comment."

In general it's hard to assert input parameters when an initialization list is used - here the assert is more of an expressed invariant (communication aspect), than a "trap before use" assertion.

I like to use an initialization list instead of assignments (constructor body) for this code. Based on your input I have updated some of the assertions and removed the original comment I put in there - thanks.

  Minor: The comment at line 93 is not fully correct as the casting is from 'const Klass*'.
         The same issue is in some other updated files:
           instanceKlass.hpp, objArrayKlass.hpp, typeArrayKlass.hpp

I have removed the "Casting from." comment(s) that was used in contexts similar to:

  // Casting from Klass*

  static ArrayKlass* cast(Klass* k) {

This comment is a bit redundant - thanks.

I have also fixed the indentation issue in vmstructs - thanks.

Coleen,

I have tried to put in a module/class/function summary comment in klassFactory.hpp - thanks.

Updated webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mgronlun/8140485/unified/unified_review/webrev04/

Thanks again for your help

Markus