How are stacks of non-JavaThreads guarded?

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 07:55:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

this may be a stupid question, but I cannot seem to find the answer.

So, in JavaThread we establish stack guards (red and yellow zones). But I
do not find anything similar for non JavaThread threads, e.g. VmThread?

Do we rely on whatever guard mechanism is established by the OS?

The reason I ask is that we deliberately disable OS guard pages on AIX
because we found them to interfere with our own guard pages. I wonder
whether we now have any overflow protection on the VmThread.

Thanks & Regards, Thomas