RFR: 8139564: Convert TraceDefaultMethods to Unified Logging

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Oct 15 03:58:53 UTC 2015

Hi Rachel,

Before your changes, this block of code  would be excluded from product
builds:

  684 #ifndef PRODUCT
  685   if (TraceDefaultMethods) {
  686     tty->print_cr("Slots that need filling:");
  687     streamIndentor si(tty);
  688     for (int i = 0; i < slots->length(); ++i) {
  689       tty->indent();
  690       slots->at(i)->print_on(tty);
  691       tty->cr();
  692     }
  693   }
  694 #endif // ndef PRODUCT

but after your change, it will be included in product builds. This means
product builds will have more verbose output than before. It also means
that the product builds will get bigger (because some printing code,
such as EmptyVtableSlot::print_on(), would need to be enabled for
product builds as well).

I am not very familiar with UL so maybe this is an FAQ ... while doing
the UL conversion, should we add all the old "ifndef PRODUCT" logs into
the product build?

Thanks
- Ioi