RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Feb 1 21:26:34 UTC 2016

Hi Roger,

Sorry I couldn't look into the code in extreme detail right now but
would like to clarify the big picture ...

Can you please clarify the exact flow of control from when a signal is
sent to the process and when the Java handler for it gets to run - what
is handled by which thread where, and in what context (signal handling
context or regular execution context)? I'm assuming no Java code is ever
being executed in a signal handling context, but I'm not clear on the
threading model being used here.

Is the VM still responsible for the initial receipt of all signals?

Howe do you manage a user-defined signal handler, for ctrl-C say, with
the default behaviour for that signal (orderly shutdown) ?