RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Tue Feb 2 16:12:46 UTC 2016

Roger,

On 2 Feb 2016, at 15:31, Roger Riggs <Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 2/2/2016 8:58 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:
>> I think this API should be a good replacement for sun.misc.Signal.
>>
>> Some comments:
>>
>>  - The second @implNote, referring to s.m.Signal,  I assume can be removed?
>>
> yes, except that sun.misc.Signal is still around for 9; there there should be note somewhere about the
> interactions, perhaps it should be in s.m.Signal instead.

Yes, I think it should be in s.m.Signal.

>>  - I agree with Peter, about the permission regarding the thread that executes
>>    the consumer. Does it make sense to support a ThreadFactory, or may that
>>    is overkill.
>>
> Using InnocuousThread should be sufficient.

Right, but then it should be specified.

> Adding a ThreadFactory to the register method would give more control but is probably more than necessary.

Hmmm… maybe. But then it is very restrictive, unless there is some mechanism
to override it.

>>  - Is it necessary for ‘raise' to declare that it may throw UOE? Since the Signal
>>    and impl are already retrieved. Or maybe there is another possibility of failure?
>>
> As currently implemented in the VM, some signals can be found and handled but not raised.
> So UOE might occur on raise even if the signal can be handled.

Ok, thanks.

>>  - Signal.dispatch just calls SignalImpl.dispatch. Should the VM just do this
>>    directly?
>>
> Yes, but since the VM has a hard coded class/method entry point; I thought it would be be lower
> maintenance to keep it in a well known class.  (I'm open to other registration mechanisms for the callback too).
> I suspect the VM folks want to own that initial Signal Dispatch thread or I would propose just a blocking call to native
> to get the next signal;  it returns when there is a signal to deliver.  But that change can be factored out for later
> if it is a good idea.

Agreed.

>>  - unregister is based on the consumer, possibly lambda’s, identity ? This seems
>>    strange.
>>
> Unless I'm mistaken, lambda's have identity and if the caller needs to unregister it, they would need to save
> the reference.  Using an explicit class implementing Consumer<Signal> would ensure that.

Yes, they do, I’m just questioning whether this is what we want.

>>  - I’m still confused by the registerDefault, and I’m not sure if it is actually needed.
>>    Why can Terminator not just register as normal?
>>
> The next register would overwrite the handler and the implementation would not know that
> that handler should be the one restored when a client (like jshell) unregisters its control-c handler.

So the use case is to register a handler and later restore the previously
set handler.  It is not possible for register to return the previously registered
handler, and then it is up the user to store it and reset it, as necessary.
Rather than the default notion.

>>  - Should the instance methods that register/unregister/raise perform a
>>    security check ( in case the Signal escapes, for example in the consumer )
>>
> The Signal is a capability,

It is in the new API, but not in s.m.Signal ( it is just pair of string name and number ).

> if you have a Signal reference you have the power; similar to Process and ProcessHandle
> the security check is done to get the reference to begin with. From an auditing point of view,
> there is no ambiguity in code that has access to a Signal reference; if has the reference it can control
> the process.

There is a potential issue when the Signal is delivered to the consumer when it
is raised, if, there is any thread, other than an innocuous thread, executing the
consumer.

Another small implementation question: is it still necessary for s.m.Signal.dispatch
to start a new Thread ?

-Chris.