RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Tue Feb 2 23:14:12 UTC 2016

Hi Peter,

I'll take a deeper look tomorrow,  I spent some time today updating my
prototype with the suggestions.
And there is more to iterate over tomorrow.

Updated webrev:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-signal-8087286/

On 2/2/2016 3:58 PM, Peter Levart wrote:

> On 02/02/2016 05:45 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>

>> On 2/2/2016 11:14 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
>>> Hi Roger,

>>> I noticed that sun.misc.Signal[Handler] is a critical API according
>>> to JEP 260, so it can't be removed in JDK9 yet. I wanted to see if
>>> sun.misc.Signal[Handler] could be modified to use java.util.Signal
>>> directly while making java.util.Signal support chaining and
>>> restoring of previous handler on deregister. Here's what it looks
>>> like in code:
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/Signal/webrev.01/
>>>
>>> But if chaining is not desired, then at least restoring of previous
>>> handler could be implemented in a uniform way and for arbitrary
>>> registration depth (no need for register/registerDefault distinction).
>>
>> A stack based model can work but still needs backup handlers for when
>> all the specified handlers to unregistered.
>> I'm ok with submerging registerDefault into the implementation used
>> only by the system Termination class.
>> I don't think the use cases call for a stack and it makes the API
>> more complex for register/unregister.
>>
>> I'd rather see a good simple j.u.Signal API that meets the
>> requirements without considering how to
>> support the legacy s.m.Signal, if it needs a bit of cruft to support
>> it for a while that's ok.
>> Someday we will want to rip out all that code and have a simple API.
>
> Here's another attempt that removes the possibility to chain handlers,
> but keeps a stack of previous handlers so that unregistration returns
> to exactly the same state as before registration. j.l.System can
> therefore use plain register() method for the default handlers and
> nesting registrations/unregistrations are possible:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/Signal/webrev.02/
>
> The API is practically the same as your's with the exception of the
> specification of unregister() which documents the restoration of
> previous state and does not mention any "default" handlers.
>
> The implementation is much simpler now (counting the lines of
> NativeSignal interface + j.u.Singnal class vs. your SignalImpl +
> j.u.Signal results in 392 vs. 513)
It looks interesting, though a different style implementation.
And I'd rather use mundane synchronization primitives that keep the code
easier to read, even if a bit less optimized.

Thanks, Roger