RFR(M): 8145521: Use trampolines for i2i and i2c entries in Methods that are stored in CDS archive

Dean Long dean.long at oracle.com
Mon Feb 22 20:50:06 UTC 2016

Hi Ioi, comments inlined below.

On 2/20/2016 5:22 PM, Ioi Lam wrote:
> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for raising this issue.
>
> My first impression is this probably shouldn't matter (or somehow we
> can get away with this).
>
> Today, the CDS archive already contains executable code in the "misc
> code" section. On Linux/x64, this is typically in the address range
> 0x802400000-0x802409000. The code is used to dynamically patch the C++
> vtables of Metadata types that are stored in the CDS archive. So even
> today, there's a chance that the suspended PC lands in this section.

OK, so you're saying that the trampolines don't make things any worse :-)

> The code is generated inside MetaspaceShared::generate_vtable_methods
> and looks like this  when you run with -Xshare:on:
>
> (gdb) x/5i 0x802400000
>    0x802400000:    mov    $0x0,%eax
>    0x802400005:    jmpq   0x8024084d0
>    0x80240000a:    mov    $0x1,%eax
>    0x80240000f:    jmpq   0x8024084d0
>    0x802400014:    mov    $0x2,%eax
> (gdb) x/16i 0x8024084d0
>    0x8024084d0:    push   %rsi
>    0x8024084d1:    push   %rdi
>    0x8024084d2:    mov    %rax,%rdi
>    0x8024084d5:    shr    $0x8,%rdi
>    0x8024084d9:    shl    $0x3,%rdi
>    0x8024084dd:    movabs $0x802000000,%rsi
>    0x8024084e7:    add    %rdi,%rsi
>    0x8024084ea:    mov    (%rsi),%rsi
>    0x8024084ed:    pop    %rdi
>    0x8024084ee:    mov    %rsi,(%rdi)
>    0x8024084f1:    and    $0xff,%rax
>    0x8024084f8:    shl    $0x3,%rax
>    0x8024084fc:    add    %rsi,%rax
>    0x8024084ff:    pop    %rsi
>    0x802408500:    mov    (%rax),%rax
>    0x802408503:    jmpq   *%rax
>
> In JDK9, the profiler takes a sample by first calling into
> JavaThread::pd_get_top_frame_for_profiling:
>
> (gdb) where
> #0  frame::safe_for_sender (this=0x7ffec63895f0, thread=0x7ffff08ce000)
> #1  0x00007ffff69d72a7 in JavaThread::pd_get_top_frame
> (this=0x7ffff08ce000, fr_addr=0x7ffec63897b0, ucontext=0x7ffec6287d00,
> isInJava=true)
> #2  0x00007ffff69d70be in JavaThread::pd_get_top_frame_for_profiling
> (this=0x7ffff08ce000, fr_addr=0x7ffec63897b0, ucontext=0x7ffec6287d00,
>     isInJava=true)
>
> I tried manually setting frame::_pc to 0x802400000, and it would cause
> frame::safe_for_sender() to return false, and thus would prevent the
> profiler from doing any stack walking.

Was the reason safe_for_sender() failed something that we can rely on
100%?  I looked at safe_for_sender, and it's not obvious why it would
fail, unless the frame pointer was invalid, and I think that depends on
the platform and flags like PreserveFramePointer.  How about filing a
separate bug to track this issue?

dl