RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Tue Feb 2 22:47:44 UTC 2016

A small implementation issue.

I couldn't find anything in the code or the spec about whether the thread that
executes a handler is or isn't a daemon thread. My first inclination was to make
sure that the handler threads are daemon threads, similar to most system-created
threads.

But in thinking about use cases, a handler might want to do some cleanup before
saving state and exiting. The cleanup might end up causing all non-daemon
threads to exit, which would pull the rug out from under the handler thread
while it's in the midst of further cleanup or saving state. That would be bad.

Thus I'm thinking that the handler threads should be non-daemon threads, and
further that this should be specified.

What do you think?

s'marks