RFR(L) 8136930: Simplify use of module-system options by custom launchers

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Jul 18 06:59:20 UTC 2016

On 18/07/2016 00:05, harold seigel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please review these Hotspot VM only changes to process the seven
> module-specific options that have been renamed to have gnu-like
> names.  JDK changes for this bug will be reviewed separately.
>
> Descriptions of these options are here
> <http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/293>.  For these six options,
> --module-path, --upgrade-module-path, --add-modules, --limit-modules,
> --add-reads, and --add-exports, the JVM just sets a system property.
> For the --patch-module option, the JVM sets a system property and then
> processes the option in the same way as when it was named -Xpatch.
>
> Additionally, the JVM now checks properties specified on the command
> line.  If a property matches one of the properties used by one of the
> above options then the JVM ignores the property.  This forces users to
> use the explicit option when wanting to do things like add a module or
> a package export.
>
> The RFR contains two new tests.  Also, many existing tests were
> changed to use the new option names.
>
> JBS Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8136930
>
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8136930.hs/
I assume the module-info.java for jdk.hotspot.agent should be ignored.

Also, just to say that we'll probably aim to bring all the CLI changes
into jdk9/dev in a few weeks, maybe the week of Aug 15-19. This requires
coordinated changes in all repos. This initial push will have both the
old and new module options, then we'll remove the old module options
after a transition period. Not important for reviewing the hotspot
changes, but might be useful in case there are questions.

-Alan