RFR(L) 8136930: Simplify use of module-system options by custom launchers

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Thu Jul 21 21:37:21 UTC 2016

On 7/21/16 1:39 PM, harold seigel wrote:
> Hi Coleen,
>
> Thank you for reviewing my changes!
>
> Please see comments inline.
>

> On 7/20/2016 5:47 PM, Coleen Phillimore wrote:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8136930.hs/src/share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp.udiff.html
>>

>> To check if is_internal_module_property, the numbered ones go to
>> is_matching_numbered_property, but do you also want to disallow:
>>
>> jdk.module.addreads.foo   or jdk.module.addreads (with no number?)
> We don't ignore properties like these because they do not have special
> meaning to the jdk.  I didn't want to ignore properties just because
> they are very similar to ones that do get ignored.

Don't we own the jdk.module namespace and from these patterns it's clear
that it's an error, although we won't flag it, and somebody might get
results that are unexpected.

I think you should flag these.

>> Why aren't addmods and limitmods allowed be specified more than once
>> on the command line and handled like the other ones?
> Please see Alan's response.  Should I open an RFE for allowing
> multiple --add-modules options?

Yes, and you can discuss it there.

>> + // options. For example: use "--add-modules java.sql", not
>> "-Djdk.module.addmods=java.sql"
>>
>> Does this comment need an equal sign?
> Yes, done.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hseigel/bug_8136930.hs/test/compiler/unsafe/UnsafeGetConstantField.java.udiff.html
>>

>> Can you fix the indentation?
> Done.
>>
>> We should add an option -XX:+UseUnsafe to be a shortcut for this:
>>
>> --add-exports=java.base/jdk.internal.misc=ALL-UNNAMED
> Please see Alan's response.

I was looking at all the tests and was wondering if there's a way for
some other option to imply these -add-exports options, so we wouldn't
need so many.  But the patterns aren't all the same in all the tests,
except the ALL-UNNAMED bit.

I've Reviewed this now.

Thanks,
Coleen