RFR (S): 8147910: Cache initial active_processor_count

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jul 25 04:55:27 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

Thanks again for taking this on.

On 22/07/2016 9:36 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   can I have reviews for this tiny change that adds an API to set the
> initial active processor count at startup? It also adds that count to
> the hs_err log file.
>
> It is required to fix JDK-8161993.
>
> CR:
>
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8147910/webrev/

src/share/vm/runtime/os.hpp

Nit: can you change update_initial_active_processor_count() to
initialize_initial_active_processor_count() please - otherwise it gives
the impression that it can be called many times to update the value.

+     guarantee(_initial_active_processor_count > 0, "Initial active
processor count not set yet.")

An assert will suffice here.

---

src/share/vm/runtime/os.cpp:

!   // We access the raw value here because using the accessor will let
its guarantee
!   // fail if the crash occurs before initialization of this value.
!   st->print(" (initial active %d)", _initial_active_processor_count);

Good point! Did you find that out the hard way? :)

I wonder if we should clarify the message in that case:

(initial active %d - zero if not yet set)

?