RFR 8174954: Parameter target type can yield successful access after a module read edge or a package export has occurred after failed resolution

Lois Foltan lois.foltan at oracle.com
Thu Jun 8 17:21:36 UTC 2017

Hi Harold,

I like your fix but I think there may be an issue, would like to know
your opinion.  If I add another identical but distinct invokedynamic
call in p5/c5.java, something like

  29 public class c5 {
          static final String printDescription = "In c5's method5 with param = ";
   30     public void method5(p2.c2 param,Module c2Module) { System.out.println(printDescription  + param);
                                                       methodAddReadEdge(c2Module); System.out.println(PrintDescription + param);  }
   31
   32     public void methodAddReadEdge(Module m) {
   33         // Add a read edge from p5/c5's module (first_mod) to second_mod
   34         c5.class.getModule().addReads(m);
   35     }
   36 }
   37

c5's method5 should end up with 2 invokedynamic bytecodes pointing at
the same constant pool index

          4: invokedynamic #3,  0              // InvokeDynamic
#0:makeConcatWithConstants:(Lp2/c2;)Ljava/lang/String;
          9: invokevirtual #4                  // Method
java/io/PrintStream.println:(Ljava/lang/String;)V
         12: aload_0
         13: aload_2
         14: invokevirtual #5                  // Method
methodAddReadEdge:(Ljava/lang/Module;)V
         17: getstatic     #2                  // Field
java/lang/System.out:Ljava/io/PrintStream;
         20: aload_1
         21: invokedynamic #3,  0              // InvokeDynamic
#0:makeConcatWithConstants:(Lp2/c2;)Ljava/lang/String;

The invokedynamic at #4 should fail due to an IAE and continue to fail,
but the invokedynamic at #21 should succeed.  With your fix the
invokedynamic at #21 fails with the cached exception.  I suspect what is
happening is that the exception is stored at the original
invokedynamic's CP index and not the rewritten invokedynamic's cpCache
index.  Can you take a look at this and confirm?  I could be wrong, but
if I am I think this is worth adding to the test.

Thanks,
Lois