RFR: 8178491: -Xss and -XX:ThreadStackSize argument parsing truncates bits

Gerard Ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Thu Jun 29 15:49:27 UTC 2017

hi Stefan,

Thank you for doing this.

Please see below for my comments.

#1 Re src/share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp

+  // The min and max sizes match the values in globals.hpp.
+  const julong min_size = 1000;

The comment refers the reader to globals.hpp for min, but where exactly in globals.hpp is this value?

I see this line in globals.hpp file:

+          range(0, intx(align_size_down_(max_uintx, os::vm_page_size())/K)) \

which would imply 0 as the min, and I also see this line in arguments.cpp:

-      ArgsRange errcode = parse_memory_size(tail, &long_ThreadStackSize, 1000);

which uses 1000 as min.

Should we change this line in globals.hpp, from:

+          range(0, intx(align_size_down_(max_uintx, os::vm_page_size())/K)) \

to:

+          range(1000, intx(align_size_down_(max_uintx, os::vm_page_size())/K)) \

to make things consistent? Then the comment can stay as is.

#2 Re src/share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp

+    bool silent = option == NULL; // Allow testing to silence error messages

Would adding brackets like:

+    bool silent = (option == NULL); // Allow testing to silence error messages

make things a bit easier to read?

#3 Can you verify with “hotspot/test/runtime/CommandLine/OptionsValidation” test?

cheers