RFR(S) 8187040: ThreadCritical crashes on Solaris if used between os::init and os::init_2

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:31:35 UTC 2017

Hi Mikael,

(I never understood why we cannot just use pthread mutexes on Solaris. Why
all this dynamic loading magic, are pthread functions not available on all
Solaris versions?)

Small nit, instead of adding a new variable _synchronization_initialized,
how about _mutex_lock != NULL (in ThreadCritical()) and _mutex_unlock !=
NULL (in ~ThreadCritical())?

I am okay with the removal of ::release(). Even if it were used, it is
really safer to let the mutex live until process end.

I leave it up to you if you take my suggestion above. The patch is fine for
me in the current form.

Kind Regards, Thomas