RFR(S): 8201649: Remove dubious call_jio_print in ostream.cpp

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Wed Apr 18 15:01:09 UTC 2018

Hi,

> > I think it could be cleaned up nicely by removing jio_print and jio_printf
> from jvm.cpp and doing all in ostream.cpp. At the one place where we would
> call jio_print after my patch, we can do the vfprintf hook check and then
> either write to the hook or do the raw write. And the other 2 places where
> jio_printf is employed, we can just call
> jio_vfprintf(defaultStream::output_stream()). I don't see any other users of
> jio_print and jio_printf in the jdk repo.
> >
> > Any objections to that (e.g. some Oracle closed coding that'd break)?
> Otherwise I'll prepare something...
>
> $ grep -r jio_print closed
>
> Showed nothing found.

I've prepared a new webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~clanger/webrevs/8201649.1/

I remove jio_printf and jio_print completely.

If we agree that in defaultStream::write(), the raw write is not needed and we can use fprintf, we could further simplify the code to just  call jio_fprintf.

Furhtermore, I have updated the jio_*print* function declarations in jvm.cpp to match those of jvm.h. Is that desired (I thought yes, in times where we try to get rid of the mapfiles anyway). I wonder if those symbols can be taken out of make/hotspot/symbols/symbols-shared then...

Best regards
Christoph