RFR(S): 8201649: Remove dubious call_jio_print in ostream.cpp

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Thu Apr 19 11:08:00 UTC 2018

Hi Thomas, David,

> > @David: No, I don't think it needs to be dialed back at this point, but I
> agree, the bug should be updated somewhat to the current scope by
> mentioning that the goal is to get rid of jio_print and jio_printf completely
> (along with call_jio_print in ostream.cpp). Those 2 functions were just 2
> hooks used in ostream.cpp and got routed through jio_vfprintf anyway,
> except for the raw write case when no vfprint_hook was installed - and we'll
> preserve that.
> >

> Hm. Instead of broading the scope of the issue, I would actually
> prefer the bug description to be clarified and limited to the original
> problem we tried to solve. Because that was a real valid problem.
>
> If only to get David's full review and not to confuse him further :)

Ok, I agree. So I tried to clarify the bug a bit more in its original sense. And we'd be back to webrev #0.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~clanger/webrevs/8201649.0/

The change of the webrev is missing a cast in line 2729 - (len needs to be casted int). This produces a build warning which turns into an error in some platforms. I'll have that fixed in the submitted version.

For the further cleanup of jio_print methods I'll probably file another bug.

As I think we already had a principal agreement about this proposal earlier, I would consider this reviewed by stuefe and dholmes if I don't hear back from you today. I would push this tomorrow after push to jdk-submit and further internal testing here at SAP.

Thanks
Christoph