RFR: 8193213 & 8182731: Make the UseAppCDS option obsolete

Jiangli Zhou jiangli.zhou at oracle.com
Wed Apr 25 17:55:27 UTC 2018

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the review!

> On Apr 25, 2018, at 10:13 AM, Calvin Cheung <calvin.cheung at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jiangli,
>
> I've only looked at the vm code changes and not the test changes. It looks good overall. I have the following minor comments:
>
> I think the following function in classLoader.cpp can be removed since you're not using it anymore.
>
> 639 #if INCLUDE_CDS
> 640 void ClassLoader::check_shared_classpath(const char *path) {
> 641   if (strcmp(path, "") == 0) {
> 642     exit_with_path_failure("Cannot have empty path in archived classpaths", NULL);
> 643   }
> 644
> 645   struct stat st;
> 646   if (os::stat(path, &st) == 0) {
> 647     if ((st.st_mode & S_IFMT) != S_IFREG) { // is not a regular file
> 648       if (!os::dir_is_empty(path)) {
> 649         tty->print_cr("Error: non-empty directory '%s'", path);
> 650         exit_with_path_failure("CDS allows only empty directories in archived classpaths", NULL);
> 651       }
> 652     }
> 653   }
> 654 }
> 655 #endif

Good catch! I remember removing this function specifically. It probably resurrected after several merges and editing. Will remove.

> I see that non-empty directory check is being done in metaspaceShared.cpp after processing all the classpath and module path entries. I think in FileMapInfo::check_nonempty_dir_in_shared_path_table(), instead of exiting upon encountering the first non-empty dir, we can iterate all entries and print out all the entries with non-empty dir before exiting. In each of the "Error: non-empty directory" message, we can consider printing out the type of entry (classpath or module path) if that info is readily available. This would give more info to the user at one time.

That’s a good suggestion! My original goal was to maintain the old behavior. I like your idea of providing more information at once and we now have the ability to do that. Will do.

Thanks!

Jiangli