RFR(M): 8202080: Introduce ordering semantics for Atomic::add and other RMW atomics

Doerr, Martin martin.doerr at sap.com
Thu Apr 26 14:23:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have renamed "cmpxchg_memory_order" to "atomic_memory_order" and added support to all Read-Modify-Write atomics with support for all C++11 semantics except seq_cst. The latter has issues on PPC64 so we're currently using our own memory_order_conservative instead, which is the default.

Please review my new webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mdoerr/8202080_atomic_add/webrev.01/

We'll test Windows, MacOS, linux x86+ppc64+s390, AIX and Solaris SPARC.
It'd be great if somebody could check arm/aarch64 and zero.

This change may enable optimizations for arm/aarch64 (not yet included).

Best regards,
Martin