RFR: 8209120: Archive the Integer.IntegerCache

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:41:56 UTC 2018

On 08/09/2018 05:32 PM, Peter Levart wrote:
> Hi Claes,
>
> When is this archived cache created? Is it possible to create archived
> cache with java.lang.Integer.IntegerCache.high system property set to
> > 127 ? Wouldn't then at runtime, when cache is initialized from such
> oversized archive and no java.lang.Integer.IntegerCache.high system
> property is specified, the resulting cache array be to big?
>
> Perhaps you could allocate a copy of the prefix of the de-archived
> array in that case to release the unused Integer instances.

There's danger when you overwrite a non-null @Stable field with another
value that this new value will not be seen. Or is <clinit> code an
exception where @Stable is not honored yet...

To mitigate this possibility, you could have two fields:

static Integer cache[];
static final Integer finalCache[];

The 'cache' field is archived and de-archived. The final result is set
to 'cache' by overwriting and to 'finalCache'. The later is then also
used in Integer.valueOf().

Peter