RFR (S): 8208061: runtime/LoadClass/TestResize.java fails with "Load factor too high" when running in CDS mode

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Fri Aug 24 19:05:16 UTC 2018

Hi Jiangli,

The updated webrev looks good.

On 8/24/18 10:34 AM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
> Hi Ioi,
>
> Thanks for the review and suggestions. Here is the updated webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8208061/webrev.01/. Please see
> comments below.
>

> On 8/23/18 9:13 PM, Ioi Lam wrote:
>> Hi Jiangli,
>>
>> The changes look good. I have a couple of suggestions:
>>

>> classLoaderData.cpp:
>>
>>   if (!DynamicallyResizeSystemDictionaries || DumpSharedSpaces) {
>>
>> I think we can also remove the DumpSharedSpaces condition. As far as
>> I know, during dump time, we use the ClassLoaderData API to access
>> the dictionaries, so even if the dictionary is resized we should be OK.
>
> I was considering that also but decided to delay it. There might be
> unexpected issues when we start doing dynamic dumping. I think it's
> probably better to address this together with dynamic dumping. I will
> file a RFE so we don't forget this. Thoughts?

Regarding dynamic dumping, I think it's going to be drastically
different than how we dump the archive today. Specifically, we cannot
rely on the DumpSharedSpaces flag, which currently makes the VM behave
very differently than a "normal" run. So, if we want to dump the archive
while doing a normal run, most likely we won't turn on the
DumpSharedSpaces flag, or we might have to significantly change how
DumpSharedSpaces works.

So I think it's better to remove DumpSharedSpaces from this line. It's
OK to do it in an RFE if you don't want to spend time testing for it
right now.

Thanks
- Ioi