RFR(S): 8200720: Print additional information in thread dump (times, allocated bytes etc.)

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Mon Jun 4 18:46:09 UTC 2018

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 8:24 PM, Chris Plummer <chris.plummer at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gunter,
>
> Just restating what I said with my initial review:
>
>> The output you are adding is all useful. I think the question is (and I'd like to see a few people chime in on this for this review) is whether or not all of it is the appropriate for a thread's stack dump. For example, defined_classes is on the fringe of what I would call generally useful info in a stack dump. Sure, there might be that rare case when you need it, but how often compared to other useful info maintained on a per thread basis. How many other bits of useful info are not being printed in favor of defined_classes? It seems you have more in the queue. How many? I'm worried about how cluttered the stack dumps will get. Maybe we should add some sort of verbose thread dumping option. Just a thought.
> Nothing has changed w.r.t. my opinions above. I would still like to know what others think about the added details.

Thread dumps are a some what useful diagnostic tool.. what reduces their usefulness is the expense of acquiring them. I’d be hesitant to add to the cost. That said, this information can be useful that I fail to see how in the context of a thread dump. I’m wondering if a new diagnostic command would be in order to capture some of this information.

Kind regards,
Kirk