[12] RFR (S) 8205534: Remove SymbolTable dependency from serviceability agent

Jini George jini.george at oracle.com
Fri Jun 29 16:02:02 UTC 2018

Hi Coleen,

Apologize for the delay. Your changes look good to me overall. A few
comments:

It might make sense to also remove the corresponding lines in the
vmStructs files. Like:

  File          Line
vmStructs.cpp  170 typedef RehashableHashtable<Symbol*, mtSymbol>
RehashableSymbolHashtable;
vmStructs.cpp  477 static_field(RehashableSymbolHashtable,   _seed,
                                    juint)                                 \
vmStructs.cpp 1362 declare_type(RehashableSymbolHashtable,
BasicHashtable<mtSymbol>)     \
vmStructs.cpp  475 static_field(SymbolTable,             _the_table,
                                SymbolTable*)                          \
vmStructs.cpp  476 static_field(SymbolTable,             _shared_table,
                                SymbolCompactHashTable)                \

You could also remove the "friend class VMStructs" from the
corresponding C++ data types.

The test case: test/jdk/sun/tools/jhsdb/AlternateHashingTest.java with
the file: test/jdk/sun/tools/jhsdb/LingeredAppWithAltHashing.java were
created to test the alternate hashing mechanism of the SymbolTable in
SA. Don't know if it makes sense to retain these.

One nit:

Line 1079 of HeapHprofBinWriter.java: Extra spaces needed.

Thanks,
Jini.