Question about thread initialization

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Oct 15 05:32:03 UTC 2018

On 13/10/2018 5:49 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:36 AM Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 1:42 AM David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> There _should_ be some rules about how thread closures gather their
>>> target threads based on the thread state. Part of that should (now that
>>> I think about it) filter out threads that are still "new" - but whether
>>> they do or not is a different matter. This may well just be an oversight.
>>>

>> I think so too.

>>> Okay so are you going to propose making such a change?
>>>

>> Yes. I'll prepare a webrev.
>>

> Yikes Thread::record_stack_base_and_size() is complex. That thing's
> name is a blatant lie, it does way more than that, especially on
> Solaris.

To be fair the problem is in the naming of os::initialize_thread() and
the fact that on Solaris it has also been used for additional thread
initialization when only intended for fixing up issues with the
primordial thread's stack. And it seems only an issue with Solaris as
everywhere else it is a empty method (and I'm unclear how it ended up as
an <os>_<cpu>.cpp function!)

I would think you can move record_stack_base_and_size() in
thread_native_entry; delete initialize_thread(Thread t) completely. Put
the code that was in the Solaris initialize_thread into the Solaris
naitve_thread_entry after record_stack_base_and_size().

> I feel unsure about moving this up to the start of the native entry
> function, since it is not aware of its surrounding Thread class being
> only half initialized.
>
> On AIX, we just call "set_stack_base" and "set_stack_size" directly,
> and later, in shared code, run thru
> Thread::record_stack_base_and_size() like everyone else. So, we just
> pre-initialized base and size. I do not want to do this for all
> platforms, since this is ugly.
>
> I wonder whether a better solution would be to change
> Thread::record_stack_base_and_size():
>
> 1 move the calls to set_stack_base() and set_stack_size() to the OS
> specific thread_native_entry(). We can call this right away in the
> newly born thread, since it relies on nothing else.
>
> 2 leave the rest in place and rename the function to something like
> "Thread::finish_initialization()"
>
> 3 move the call to Thread::finish_initialization() up out of the
> <XXXThread>::run() functions to thread_native_entry() - just before it
> calls Thread::run().
>
> 4 Alternative: to (3), make Thread::run() a non-virtual public
> function - a place for os-generic and thread-class-generic common
> stuff to-be-run-before-run(). Add a second, protected method, virtual
> Thread::do_run() = 0, which is the real function child classes should
> override.
>
> BTW I remember now why I did move the stack base/size initialization
> on AIX up to the start of thread_native_entry. We had crashes in newly
> spawned child threads and no usable hs-err files since to print a
> stack trace you need to know the stack dimensions. Another reason to
> change this.

Well ... a thread should be doing very little interesting in terms of
crashes prior to calling run() and setting up the stack information, and
there will always be somewhere it can crash before this is set up, so
perhaps the error reporter also needs to be bit more cautious about
assuming things about the thread initialization state and the ability to
use the Thread API.

Cheers,
David