RFR 7041262: VM_Version should be called instead of Abstract_VM_Version so that overriding works

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Tue Oct 16 00:58:59 UTC 2018

> On Oct 15, 2018, at 6:58 PM, Vladimir Kozlov <vladimir.kozlov at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Stupid question. Why keep empty static methods in Abstract_VM_Version which are never used?

The empty methods are the defaults, for platforms that don’t extend or override the behavior.

For example, only sparc currently extends init_before_ergo.  For all other platforms, the empty
default is used.  arm is the only implementor of early_initialize.  It does look like every platform
implements initialize, but I think the empty Abstract method should be kept for consistency, and
as the place to hang the documentation comment.

The thing I’m confused about is how VM_Version_Ext fits into this scheme.  But that’s out of
scope for Harold’s change, which looks good to me.