RFR: 8212663: Remove conservative at_safepoint assert when JFR writes type sets during class unloading

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Fri Oct 19 08:48:21 UTC 2018

Hi David,

On 2018-10-19 09:52, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On 19/10/2018 5:25 PM, Erik Österlund wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Isn't the single thread call context the assumed default?
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>
>> In particular, this is called by SystemDictionary::do_unloading()
>> only. And none of that stuff would work if called by multiple threads.
>> So while it is indeed possible to distinguish the ZDriver thread as a
>> special type of concurrent GC thread that also handles unloading, and
>> verify there can only be one such thread with that role, for this
>> assert, I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle as all code in the
>> unloading path is single threaded anyway, and I can't see what is
>> special about this code apart from that there was an assert there
>> before and the other single threaded code did not. Do you agree?
>
> The author of the current code considered it desriable to check the
> code was only called at a safepoint. That might mean it only executes
> in the VMThread or it might not - the single-threaded aspect of this
> code is not evident to me just from the code. If checking for a
> safepoint was really a proxy for checking it was executed by the
> VMThread, and concurrent unloading now uses a different thread, then
> it didn't seem unreasonable to ask if the assertion could be modified
> to cover that rather than just removed.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the question is unreasonable. I do see
your point, and the question is reasonable.
I suppose what I'm saying is that the whole call tree under
SystemDictionary::do_unloading() is built for being called by a single
thread (and will continue being so in the concurrent unloading world),
including this JFR code, but I don't know how much it would help
protecting us from messing up by sprinkling asserts throughout that call
tree making sure we are indeed not calling do_unloading in parallel
accidentally. Having said that, maybe an extra seat belt won't hurt either.

> If it's really too much trouble than that's fine, but it was worth
> asking the question.

How about using assert_locked_or_safepoint(ClassLoaderDataGraph_lock);
instead? The unloading thread will hold that lock throughout the
unloading path.

Like this:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~eosterlund/8212663/webrev.01/

Thanks,