RFR(XXS): 8227117: normal interpreter table is not restored after single stepping with TLH

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Fri Jul 5 19:47:16 UTC 2019

On 7/5/19 1:16 PM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
> On 7/4/19 3:18 AM, David Holmes wrote:
>> PS. I just noticed this comment:
>>
>> // This change must always be occur when at a safepoint.
>> // Being at a safepoint causes the interpreter to use the
>> // safepoint dispatch table which we overload to find single
>> // step points.  Just to be sure that it has been set, we
>> // call notice_safepoints when turning on single stepping.
>> // When we leave our current safepoint, should_post_single_step
>> // will be checked by the interpreter, and the table kept
>> // or changed accordingly.
>> void VM_ChangeSingleStep::doit() {
>>
>> The "when we leave the safepoint" part is actually the bug that is
>> being fixed - right? So the comment is not accurate.
>
> I'll take a closer look at this part of the comment:
>
> // When we leave our current safepoint, should_post_single_step
> // will be checked by the interpreter, and the table kept
> // or changed accordingly.
>
> and figure out how to clarify it as part of this change.

I ended up rewriting the entire block comment that David quoted
above to be this:

+// When _on == true, we use the safepoint interpreter dispatch table
+// to allow us to find the single step points. Otherwise, we switch
+// back to the regular interpreter dispatch table.
+// Note: We call Interpreter::notice_safepoints() and ignore_safepoints()
+// in a VM_Operation to safely make the dispatch table switch. We
+// no longer rely on the safepoint mechanism to do any of this work
+// for us.

Dan